My entry was inspired by elotes or mexican corn on the cob you can get from street vendors, fairs, etc. Elotes is grilled corn smothered with butter, chili pepper, salt and lime and a sprinkle of cojita cheese. For an elotes cupcake I made sweet corn cake cupcakes adding chipotle and adobo sauce for an extra smoky hot kick and then topped this creation with quick buttercream frosting made with half mascarpone cheese (to replicate the cojita cheese flavor) half butter and sprinkled with lime, chili powder and salt. The salt is very important to replicating the corn on the cob sensation and is a nice contrast to the sweet frosting. The cupcake is really sweet and smokey and would be great on its own with whipping cream but the buttercream frosting and elotes toppings make this an unusually delicious and different chili pepper dessert.
Here's the recipe:
(makes 12)
3 ears grilled corn (about 3 cups kernels)
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbs chipotle chili in adobo sauce (pureed)
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups AP flour
Strip kernels from corn cob, puree through a food mill or in food processor, add to milk and chipotle. Set aside. Beat together butter and brownsugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 sec after each addition. Scrape down sides. Stir remaining dry ingredients together in small bowl and add to butter/sugar mixture alternating with wet corn /milk mixture and ending with wet ingredients.
Scoop batter into cupcake liners, bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Frosting: Quick buttercream frosting:
1 stick butter
4oz mascarpone cheese
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar.
Sprinkle with chili powder, lime zest and fleur de sel or freshly ground sea salt.
This is entry into Iron Cupcake Earth which is a wicked cool challenge idea. I almost didn't make it but managed to have a cooperative napper yesterday afternoon!
Iron Cupcake winners are determined by you the voter and winners are eligible for spiffy prizes from these awesome sponsors:
Etsy art from Cakespy
Cupcake Courier
Jessica Steele Vintage Aprons
Fiesta Head Chef Products
Hello, Cupcake
8.29.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Great Job! I love it. Definitely one of my favorites. I hope you don't mind, I'm going to post it as one of my top 5 on my blog.
Nice job! So creative and aesthetically pleasing! I love the corn in the cupcake. It conjures up memories of a corn creme brulee I tried once, and the sweet corn complimented the custard so well! I imagine that to be the same deal with the corn in the cupcake :)
Post a Comment