I thought it would be simpler to type this recipe for you since I have so many notes on
it. Let me know how it goes, and how many cupcakes this recipe makes - I've not done
cupcakes yet, but have made it in ramekins for cute little cakes that I split and frost
in the center and on top only.
Carrot Cake
Recipe from Eating Well Magazine; Modified by Kathe
Cake
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 large egg + 2 egg whites
1-1/2 cups sugar
¾ cup non- or low fat buttermilk
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
½ cup flaked coconut
2 cups finely grated carrots (4-6 medium, or 1 Trader Joes organic bag of baby carrots).
NOTE – this recipe works best if carrots are dry
Optional - Raisins, ground flax, oat or wheat bran as desired (I usually add about 1/3 cup of wheat bran/ground flax mixture without changing amounts of other ingredients)
Frosting
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon coconut + 1 teaspoon almond + 1 teaspoon vanilla extracts
NOTE – for two 9-inch layer cakes, use 24 ounces of cream cheese and add more confectioners’ sugar