Hey Kathe,
Let me know how you like your red velvet recipe. I have been asked to make some for a
wedding and I haven't yet given them a try yet. I have made red velvet in the past
and not been a fan. I always have problems with the cream cheese frosting - I think
I'm over beating it and it turns out to thin and slimy rather than fluffy and robust.
Jamie -- if the three of us had nothing to do but invent cupcakes we could be even
more imaginative than the Rockin' Cupcakes folks I'm sure! Sad to hear that we've been
edged out of the market in your new haunts but if they aren't that good we could
still have a chance...
- Robyn
ps. here is the red velvet recipe the bride requested:
http://thedeliciouslife.blogspot.com/2008/02/red-velvet-cake-from-lee-bros-so.html
Quoting Kathe:
Another coincidence. I happen to have my red velvet recipe with me
today because a friend asked for a copy and I have notes all over it
(so I didn't send her any link). Overall, I love red velvet cake, and
had the best piece ever in Savannah last year. It truly melted in my
mouth. I just compared the two recipes, and there are some big
differences: 1) mine is from Cooking Lights, so it contains only 5
tablespoons of butter, while yours uses 2 sticks; 2) mine does not
contain baking powder or orange zest; and 3) mine has less sugar and 1
egg white to substitute for 1 of the eggs in your recipe. The key
difference between the two recipes is that mine uses a vinegar/baking
soda mixture to give the cake that little zip that red velvet should
have. I suspect the orange zest is the substitute for this in your
recipe. Also, I recommend using cake flour.
I did like my recipe, but had to make it twice to get it closer to
perfection. Like your recipe suggests, mixing with a spoon results in
a much moister/softer cake than using beaters. I like the final
outcome, and brought them to work today in a fancy-schmancy cupcake
holder that I received as a gift. So far, rave reviews, even though my
sad buttercream frosting is more like icing, and has dripped all over
the cups - they look like grade-school projects!
Regarding frosting, I would suggest using your classic buttercream
frosting. Traditionally, red velvet cake is served with either
buttercream or cream cheese, and you do such a great job with that
recipe. But if the bride really wants cream cheese, try omitting the
butter. I never use butter in mine, I never soften the cream cheese
prior, and I don't sift the powdered sugar because it gets too fine to
hold up as frosting. So, my ingredients are only chilled cream cheese,
powdered sugar, vanilla or almond (almond allows the frosting to stay
white and gives it a delicate taste), and a little milk only if needed.
I can send you my recipe if you like. I'm going to make your red
velvet recipe also, and will give you my taste-test comparison.